UNIVERSAL HEALTH COVERAGE IS
RIGHT. SMART. OVERDUE.
Universal health coverage (UHC) means that every person, everywhere, has access to quality health services without suffering financial hardship.
MMV supports #HealthForAll because we are working towards a world in which medicines will cure and protect vulnerable and under-served populations at risk of malaria.
CALL TO ACTION:
Every country must deliver on promises to achieve universal health coverage. No one can be left behind.
WHY HEALTH FOR ALL?
Because it's right.
- Health is a human right. No one should go bankrupt when they get sick.
- 400 million people worldwide are still waiting for essential health services.
- 17% of people in low- and middle income countries are pushed or pushed further into poverty (US$2/day) by health spending.
- 267 economists agree: Universal health coverage reduces poverty and fuels economic growth.
- Investments in health drove 24% of full-income growth in the last decade — and every US$1 invested in health returns up to 10X the benefits.
- Universal health coverage lessens the impact of shocks on communities — from disease outbreaks to climate-related threats.
- Health is the foundation of sustainable development and global resilience.
- The United Nations has unanimously endorsed universal health coverage twice, but we're still waiting for universal action.
- Rich & poor countries have proven that universal health coverage is possible. 100+ countries have taken steps toward this goal. Now, all nations must deliver.
Go to the slideshow and meet the #HEALTHFORALL Champions:
Be sure to visit the Universal Health Coverage Day website for more information.
Sources: World Health Organization, World Bank Group, The Rockefeller Foundation, UNAIDS, Action for Global Health, The NCD Alliance, The Lancet Commission on Investing in Health