The WHO R&D Blueprint is organizing a consultation to apply scientific lessons learned during the SARS-CoV-2 global pandemic and other recent outbreak to address the research needs for unknown agents capable of future pandemics – Pathogen X.
Main discussion points include the following, with reference to research and development leading to safe and effective vaccines and therapeutics:
Review of previous pandemics with an emphasis on COVID-19
- What relevant scientific information did we have before the pandemic?
- What scientific strategies were successful?
- What scientific strategies could be improved?
What will the next pandemic look like?
- What research will facilitate identification of the next pandemic?
- What needs to be done to prepare for possible pathogens, including unexpected or re-emerging pathogens (e.g., AMR)?
What can be done in advance of the next pandemic?
- What are the scientific and research gaps? And how can they be met?
- How can scientific and research findings facilitate vaccine and therapeutic development?
- How can other approaches, such as TPPs and regulatory convergence, facilitate response to a future pandemic?
To find out more information and to register please visit the WHO website.