MMV is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
Over the past 18 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects.
We are currently seeking a Translational Medicine Scientist to join our team for a three year period. This 3-year post-doctoral fellowship will provide a PhD graduate with the opportunity to expand upon their scientific knowledge and skills. Working under the direct supervision of senior project directors, the successful candidate will participate in drug development projects, involving innovative research and novel methods to advance the development of effective antimalarial drugs. Following this experience, the fellow will be well-equipped to accept opportunities in academia, industry or other R&D product development partnership organizations.
The Translational Medicine Scientist will:
- Work alongside Translational Medicine project leaders, providing support, conducting limited-scope research projects and exploring innovative solutions in malaria drug development
- Take part in non-clinical evaluations of antimalarial combinations
- Support the Head of Translational Medicine in the coordination and communication with key investigators and centers of excellence
- Further develop skills in areas such as:
- Chemical synthesis scouting
- Formulation development and polymorph screening
- Toxicology and safety studies
- Development of non-clinical and clinical study plans
- Implementing non-clinical and clinical studies that support product development
- Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) analyses and prediction
- Efficacy and safety assessment through biomarkers
- Allocate 20% of time to a specific research project, supporting MMV’s strategy, including initiating a project proposal, applying for a budget, managing the project, and producing reports
- Author and publish high quality research articles
- Attend selected conferences, prepare posters, give presentations, represent MMV and build a network within the scientific community
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Science, Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacology or Biometrics
- 2 years of post-doctorate experience (academia and/or industry) with a proven track record within the duties mentioned above
- Published peer-reviewed articles
- Familiarity with the drug development process is an asset
- Experience working in a cross-functional matrix setting is also an asset
Technical skills required:
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Familiar with general software
Behavioural skills required:
- Project management and analytical skills
- Collaboration and teamwork skills
- Excellent written communication skills
Start date: As soon as possible
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs [at] mmv.org before 31 May 2018. Please refer to the following code in the subject line of your email: RD-2018-06.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.