MMV is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
Over the past 17 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects.
MMV Discovery is a virtual Open Innovation Discovery team based in Geneva. There are no labs on site and all projects and screening are performed by pharmaceutical and academic partners.
We are currently seeking two Research Scientists to join our Drug Discovery team for a 3-year period. The Research Scientist will support the Drug Discovery department with expertise in biology and parasitology and to help manage the validation, deployment and logistics of in vitro and in vivo assays to test new compounds for MMV.
The Research Scientist will:
- Coordinate and manage in vitro and in vivo malaria liver and transmission-blocking studies as needed
- Coordinate and manage in vitro and in vivo asexual blood stage assays including drug resistance studies for the MMV pipeline and for external collaborations
- Lead and manage Plasmodium target information and database
- Publish high quality research articles
- 20% of time allocated to a specific research project supporting MMV’s strategy: propose a project, apply for budget and manage the project
- Attend selected conferences for training, representing MMV, and establishing a network
Education and Experience:
- Doctorate degree in biochemistry or molecular/ cell biology
- 2 years of post-doctorate experience (academia and industry) is a plus
- Experience in supervising trainees/students in a laboratory setting
- Published peer-reviewed articles
- Familiarity with the drug discovery process
- Knowledge of infectious diseases, malaria a plus
Technical skills required:
- Practical experience in the infectious disease field is a plus
- Fluency in English (oral and written), French is an asset
- Expertise with all Microsoft applications
Behavioural skills required:
- Project management and analytical skills
- Collaboration and teamwork skills
- Excellent written communication skills in the above noted discipline
- Autonomous and proactive
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to coordinate and deliver multiple activities
- Flexibility and ability to handle frequent changes
Start date: 1 January 2018
Preference will be given to candidates who hold a valid work permit.
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs [at] mmv.org before 26 October 2017. Please refer to the following code in the subject line of your email: RD-2017-19.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.