MMV is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
Over the past 17 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects.
However, malaria parasites resistant to artemisinin and its partner drugs have emerged making the need to develop new combinations more urgent. MMV and its partners are successfully developing new antimalarial compounds and are at the stage of selecting combinations among these for further development. Thus we are seeking a PKPD Translational Medicine Scientist to join our team for a 3-year period to help identify the most promising combinations by translating the PKPD from animals to humans.
This 3-year post-doctoral fellowship will provide a PhD graduate with the opportunity to expand their scientific knowledge and skills. Working under the direct supervision of a senior pharmacometrician, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to see how pharmacometric approaches (PBPK and PK/PD modeling and simulation) are used to speed up the drug development process, from early to late stage. They will also contribute to the development of innovative modeling approaches to help the interpretation of in vitro data, the translation from preclinical to clinical, and dose selection for clinical studies. Following this experience, the fellow will be well-equipped to accept opportunities in academia, industry or other R&D product development partnership organizations.
The PKPD Translational Medicine Scientist will:
- Provide PKPD modeling expertise to preclinical and clinical projects to help speed-up the development of molecules for antimalarial treatment or chemoprevention
- Conduct PK/PD analyses of non-clinical and clinical studies, focusing on combinations of new antimalarial compounds
- Further develop skills in areas such as:
- Preclinical in vitro assays and in vivo experiments used to make first human predictions;
- Formulation development
- Clinical development
- Allocate 20% of time to a specific research project, supporting MMV’s strategy, to develop an innovative PKPD modeling approach
- Author and publish high quality research articles
- Represent MMV at selected conferences; give presentations, prepare posters, and build network
Education and experience:
- Ph.D. in biomedical science, pharmacy, clinical pharmacology, biometrics or computational engineering
- 2 years of post-doctorate experience (academia and/or industry) with a proven track record within the duties mentioned above
- Published peer-reviewed articles
- Familiarity with the drug development process is an asset
- Experience working in a cross-functional matrix setting is also an asset
Technical skills required:
- Demonstrated competence in coding and running pharmacometric related software (e.g. NONMEM, Monolix, R, MATLAB, PBPK software)
- Competence in at least one of the following areas: PK, PKPD, disease progression, malaria, in vitro in vivo correlation
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Familiar with general software
Behavioural skills required:
- Project management and analytical skills
- Collaboration and teamwork skills
- Excellent written communication skills
Preference will be given to Swiss citizens and candidates who hold a valid work permit.
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs [at] mmv.org before 30 September 2017. Please refer to the following code in the subject line of your email: RD-2017-15.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.