Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable medicines for the treatment of malaria. Over the past 18 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects.
MMV works as a ‘virtual’ organization, operating a partnership model for the delivery of high-quality discovery, development and market access activities for its portfolio. Responsibility for the management of outsourcing for MMV-led activities lies within the Business Development team and, due to the continued success and growth of the pipeline, we are seeking to expand our team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting outsourcing activities that are essential to enable MMV’s Research & Development (R&D) and Access & Product Management (APM) teams to achieve organizational goals and donor commitments. He/she will ensure selection of service providers that deliver to the highest quality standards and represent fair market value. The successful candidate will also support the contracting process, facilitate transition to operational teams, and provide follow-up support with service providers, as needed. The position is initially for a 3-year period.
The Junior Manager, Outsourcing will:
- Support project teams in developing outsourcing strategies in support of project deliverables
- Collaborate with project teams to determine the scope of project activities to be contracted to service providers
- Manage selection of service providers from the receipt of an outsourcing request to finalization of agreement, including conducting the request for proposal (RFP) process, organizing due diligence, budget negotiation and delivery of recommendations to the project team
- Assess and recommend candidate service providers based on capabilities, capacity, strategic fit, expertise, quality, performance and price
- Document the selection process in preparation for audits by MMV donors
- Support MMV’s Legal team as needed to ensure that the final contract covers activities necessary to fully support the project
- Manage changes in contract scope, change orders, and amendments to ensure accurate and timely revisions to terms and/or services
- Monitor and disseminate feedback on service provider performance, with respect to quality of work, delivery to agreed timelines and budget management as well as other related parameters; co-ordinate with MMV’s Quality team for service provider audits in accordance with MMV SOPs
- Develop strong relationships with key service providers to ensure that MMV is seen as a ‘preferred client’ as well as with relevant internal functions
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree preferably in a scientific discipline, but possibly also in business or operations management if accompanied by appropriate experience
- 2 years of experience in service provider selection and management in an international pharmaceutical or biotechnology company or a clinical research organization
- An understanding of procurement and outsourcing strategies and best practices used throughout the drug development industry
Specific skills required:
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills, time management and project management skills
- Quantitative and analytical skills, with attention to detail and follow-through to project completion
- Able to work independently and proactively with minimal supervision
- Flexible and able to adapt to frequent changes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, works as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
Start date: To be agreed
Interested applicants should send their CV and a covering letter in English giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs [at] mmv.org before 10 June, 2018. Please include your first and last name, as well as the following job code in the subject line of your email: BD-2018-07.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.