MMV is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
Over the past 18 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects.
The Legal department is the interface between MMV and its partners, and negotiates a significant number of contracts every year. We are currently seeking an Associate General Counsel to join our Legal team.
The Associate General Counsel will provide legal, contractual and risk management guidance in respect of MMV’s R&D and Access projects. In addition to contractual work, he/she will also advise in the area of IP management and ensure compliance with applicable legal frameworks.
The Associate General Counsel will:
- Conduct negotiations with all major contractual partners (pharmaceutical partners, academic partners, CROs, donors, consultants, etc.)
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts (confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, clinical trial agreements, consultancy agreements, services agreements and long-term research agreements)
- Advise on Intellectual Property management and assist the General Counsel with patent portfolio management
- Identify and address gaps in legal and contractual processes - supervise the update and creation of contract templates
- Supervise legal research
- Liaise with outside counsel and/or contracting partners/other PDPs
- Supervise and mentor junior team members
Education and Experience:
- Law degree
- At least 10 years of experience dealing with contractual matters, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry
Technical skills required:
- Excellent command of English (spoken and written) is essential
- Excellent advocacy and negotiation skills
- Excellent drafting skills
- Excellent managerial skills
- Deep understanding of Intellectual Property management issues
- Ability to use contract databases and other IT resources commonly used in the legal profession
Behavioural skills required:
- Capacity to focus and attentive to detail
- Capacity to communicate clearly and effectively
- Organized and skilled in setting priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills
- Capacity to cope with stress and time pressure
- Ability to manage a team; to train and mentor junior members of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with colleagues and partners with integrity and diplomacy
Start date: Immediately
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs [at] mmv.org before 28 February 2018. Please refer to the following code in the subject line of your email: LEGAL-2018-03.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.